A visit to the dentist is not one that lots of people are excited to have. Most of them skip the check-ups because of anxiety and of course, the cost. They may prefer to just brush and floss their teeth on their own. The question is, is that really enough to ensure dental hygiene? Certainly not!
Below are some reasons you should visit the dentist at least twice in a year:
1. General Assessment: The mouth is an important part of the human body. The state of your mouth and tongue can tell that of your health. From the mouth, a dentist can know if you have ailments like anemia or deficient in vitamins. Dehydration can also be detected through assessing the mouth. During routine checks, the dentist does not only focus on the mouth and teeth, but he/she also checks the head, neck and lymph node for abnormalities like swelling and lumps and refers you to the appropriate places for treatment.
Also, general assessments can help detect dental diseases that give rise to heart diseases, stroke or even pancreatic cancer.
2. Oral Cancer Detection: This is a very dangerous disease that is not easily detected especially by those without prior knowledge of its symptoms. Dentists are trained not only to identify the signs and symptoms but also to treat it if detected early. Eighty-Four percent (84%) of oral cancer can be detected by a dentist as a result of a regular check-up.
3. Gum Disease: This happens when tartar builds up causing an infection known as gingivitis. The Infection results in the pulling away of the gum from the tooth and causes a breakdown of the tissues that attach the gums to the teeth. The patient may experience bleeding, swelling, soreness, fallen teeth, etc. This disease is caused by poor nutritional habits which can spread easily if not treated. Regular visits to the dentists for cleaning will prevent the disease from escalating and of course, save money.
4. Teeth Cleaning: Of course, you brush your teeth daily. Some of you even brush twice a day. However, this is not always sufficient enough as some of us do not even brush and floss the right way. Dentist helps us clean our teeth to get rid of plaques and tartar.
5. X-ray: Dentists can detect abnormalities in your teeth beneath the surface of your mouth that may not be visible to the optical eyes. Some of these may include; impacted teeth, jawbone damage, bone decay, swelling, tumours, and cyst.
6. Prevention of Tooth Extraction and other Diseases: Tooth extraction can be really gruesome. Regular check-ups prevent extraction, tooth decay and of course Halitosis (Bad breath).
It is obvious that visiting the dentist regularly is essential for your total wellbeing. It may somewhat be time-consuming and expensive, but the benefits are well worth the trouble.
For more information, contact http://dentistlichfiled.co.uk